Capital Risk ConsultantBoston, Massachusetts Actuarial Job ID R14189
Capital Risk Consultant
Capital Risk Team
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
The Capital Risk Team aims to provide timely and value-added insights that are integrated into how MassMutual evaluates, rewards and makes strategic decisions related to risk, capital and value. In order to achieve this vision, the team is setting a number of expansive objectives that build on its strong foundation with the view to increasing the impact and connectivity across the organization. To help us achieve our mission, we are hiring a Capital Risk Consultant to join our team. This role provides an opportunity to join the team at an exciting time and make a meaningful impact while working with various partners across the organization.
As a Capital Risk Consultant, you will need to be able to work independently with limited oversight, quickly understand and assess a situation, and collaborate within and across teams to ensure ongoing requirements and ad-hoc demands on the team are met. You will use your analytical skills to support reporting processes/analyses/problem solving, derive value- added insights to support decision-making, assist in methodology and framework enhancements, and works with guidance to support execution of complex projects including broader initiatives underway at the firm.
Objectives of this role
- Supports the development, enhancement and review of risks related to MassMutual’s strategic entities and rating agencies
- Economic Value/Economic Capital: Supports the development, enhancement, review, and documentation of enterprise economic value and capital framework
- Risk Appetite/Scenario Testing: Assists the enhancement and documentation of Risk Appetite/Risk Limits framework
- Value-based Management: Supports the team’s ongoing reporting processes and analyses to produce value-added insights Conducts research and development work on new value-based management framework and metrics to support strategic decision making
- Assists in the execution of complex projects e.g., transformation of the capital risk processes by working closely with business partners such as Corporate Actuarial & Business Analytics, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Data Science to align data/tools/methodologies across the enterprise, streamline/automate workflow, expand our analytical capabilities, and advance the rigor, governance and controls around the data/models/analyses
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Finance, Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, or another quantitative discipline
- 3+ years of financial services or insurance experience that required strong analytical and modeling skills
- 3+ years of data analytics experience (e.g. Excel, Python and/or SQL)
The Ideal Qualifications
- Possesses technical qualification/credential in actuarial science, finance, and/or capital markets e.g., ASA, FSA, CFA or similar financial qualification
- Actuarial modeling experience e.g., Prophet, Axis
- Has strong data analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to details
- Can drill in details to perform analyses and resolve issues and distill findings into concise summary of key conclusions and recommendations
- Strong team player, ability to work with people at all levels
- Knowledge of economic value/capital modeling/risk measurement framework
- Leads or coordinates reporting processes/analyses and supports complex projects, utilizing business acumen to manage potential issues and conflict
- Effectively communicates technical and non-technical information
- Learn in real time, anticipate problems or challenges and respond proactively
- Manages priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals
- Informs and influences others clearly, timely and appropriately
- Looks for and finds ways to improve operations
- Cross collaboration experience working across multiple stakeholder groups
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Capital Risk Team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical nosiness with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
- Head of Worksite Life Pricing & Product Management Springfield, Massachusetts
- Head of Health Products Valuation & Projections Springfield, Massachusetts
- ALDP Actuarial Analyst Boston, Massachusetts
- Forecast Liability Projections Actuary Boston, Massachusetts
- Forecast Modeling & Quantitative Consultant Springfield, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.