Controls Oversight Associate IIBoston, Massachusetts Finance & Accounting Job ID R14194
Controls Oversight Associate II
Accounting Policy/Advisory and Controls Oversight team
Full-Time, Hybrid, Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
We seek an energetic, motivated, and skilled accountant to join our Controls Oversight team in our Controller’s Organization. As a Controls Oversight Associate II, you will be an experienced accounting professional who wants to work with a diverse team of highly motivated professionals focused on delivering high-quality of work in a timely and accurately manner. You will be responsible for contributing to the financial controls processes and related monitoring and governance of deficiencies of the CFO organization. This is an opportunity for an individual who thrives in a highly dynamic and agile accounting environment to collaborate across teams seeking solid execution and improving outcomes.
As part of the broader Accounting Policy/Advisory and Control Oversight team in the Controllers Organization of Corporate Finance, this position is a key contributor on the Control Oversight team that monitors the health of our financial controls environment. Our team is highly motivated by challenging work that delivers substantial impact in a culture of accountability and collaboration. Team members are energized to improve quality of our control environment by working closely with internal stakeholders and external auditors/project consultants. We strive to continuously improve by working together as team to make each other and our processes better.
As a Controls Oversight Associate II, you will work with the Head of Accounting Policy/Advisory and Controls Oversight and Controls Oversight Director and be a key team player owning oversight of the company’s financial internal control environment. Your responsibilities will include, among others, the following tasks:
- Monitoring control deficiencies impacting the Company’s financial statements, including partnering with process/deficiency owners to determine appropriate risk ranking of known and emerging control issues, design and deployment of effective remediation plans and seeing those issues through to timely closure
- Support/oversee testing of internal controls
- Assisting in managing and reporting on the control issues trends
- Supporting the broader Controller’s Organization to improve the standardization of control deficiency assessment and remediation plan development process
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness of controls and their execution by performing targeted quality review procedures with process owners
The Minimum Qualifications
- BS in accounting, finance or related
- 3+ years of experience in financial analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of and experience with US GAAP or Statutory accounting/reporting
The Ideal Qualifications
- MBA or equivalent preferred
- 5+ years of experience in financial analysis and reporting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification
- Experience with and knowledge of US GAAP and Statutory accounting/reporting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate strong accountability and commitment
- Ability to perform independent research and serve as a key resource for the resolution of unique or complex business problems
- Customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing
- Ability to proactively take ownership of assignments and drive them through to completion
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding the tasks at hand
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to adapt to change
- Experience working in a Finance transformational setting; driving continuous improvements and efficiencies beyond own scope of responsibility
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Accounting Policy/Advisory and Controls Oversight team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran, and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
#LI-MS1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.