Forecast Model Owner & Quantitative ConsultantBoston, Massachusetts Actuarial Job ID R14046
Forecast Model Owner & Quantitative Consultant
Forecast Model Development Team
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
The Financial Visualization and Model Development team resides within Financial Planning and Analysis and is composed of professionals with diverse backgrounds in finance, actuarial science, accounting, consulting, technology and data analytics, among other disciplines. The Financial Visualization and Model Development team is working on building cutting-edge analytical capabilities and reporting solutions that drive business value by delivering visual dashboards and improved forecasting abilities in a seamless manner to MassMutual leadership.
The Forecast Model Owner & Quantitative Consultant will be a member of a newly created Forecast Model Development team responsible for enhancing our forecast models in support of the company’s financial forecast and will report to the Head of Forecast Model Development. The Forecast Model Owner & Quantitative Consultant will collaborate cross-functionally with other teams, including but not limited to Financial Planning & Analysis’ Anaplan development team, Treasury, Expense Management, Corporate Actuarial’s Liability Projections and Inforce Management team, Investments, Controllers and Enterprise Risk Management to enable more robust modeling / scenario analysis, allow for better attribution and explanation of forecast results, ensure that our models are maintained / well-documented / compliant with enterprise model governance policies. The ideal candidate has some actuarial, financial projection and analytical expertise with life insurance and annuity products, and is a problem solver, an effective communicator, highly organized, and is always driven to learn new skills.
You’ll join a team of innovative, collaborative, and resourceful people who think differently, think big, and persevere through all challenges.
- Interpret, analyze, develop and implement projection methodologies through partnering effectively with customer modeling teams
- Prepare and effectively communicate models and financial impact analysis to various customers, along with recommendations for action
- Work with Anaplan development team by developing prototypes and participating in user acceptance testing to ensure that models are effectively deployed in FP&A’s forecasting tool
- Apply knowledge of insurance products and financial risk drivers in developing practical and reasonable solutions to address projection issues, including model limitations
- Work with financial models such as capital, expense, actuarial valuation or cash flow testing, asset management and net investment income
- Conduct model testing procedures and documentation of methodology and results
- Ensure effective application of model governance framework
- Continuously improve models to enhance precision of forecast results
- Establish strong relationships and trust with customers
- Triage and resolve issues raised by customers independently and collaboratively
- Perform ad hoc data analyses and provide technical support as necessary
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Designation, licensure or certification in, or pursuit of, one of the following: Fellow of the Society of Actuaries, Certified Public Accountancy, or Chartered Financial Analyst (FSA, CPA, CFA)
- 8+ years of modeling experience in valuation, pricing, asset modeling, financial planning, and/or in financial risk management
- 5+ years of exposure to financial statements under US Statutory and GAAP reporting
The Ideal Qualifications
- Advanced knowledge of modeling techniques
- Advanced knowledge of US insurance products
- Experience documenting technical workflows and specifications
- Experience working cross-functionally
- Ability to seek guidance and learn new skills from peers
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Strong written and oral communication
- Experience with project management tools and methodologies such as Jira, Confluence, and Scrum
- Experience with Anaplan
- Experience with actuarial projection platforms such as MG-ALFA, GGY-AXIS or Prophet
- Passion for developing high performance analytical solutions with demonstrated experience in actuarial or financial modeling
- Ability to deliver complex projects using effective planning, pragmatic approaches, and collaboration despite obstacles and ambiguity
Note: This position is not affiliated with the Actuarial Leadership Development Program or the Actuarial Exam Program. The candidate may be eligible to utilize the Educational Assistance program for which Society of Actuaries professional designations are eligible.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Financial Visualization and Model Development team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
- Head of Worksite Life Pricing & Product Management Springfield, Massachusetts
- Head of Health Products Valuation & Projections Springfield, Massachusetts
- ALDP Actuarial Analyst Boston, Massachusetts
- Forecast Liability Projections Actuary Boston, Massachusetts
- Forecast Modeling & Quantitative Consultant Springfield, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.