Head of Fundamental Credit Risk AnalysisBoston, Massachusetts Risk Management Job ID R15155
Head of Fundamental Credit Risk Analysis,
Credit Risk Management, Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
As a Head of Fundamental Credit Risk Analysis, you will be responsible for fundamental credit risk analysis, evaluation, recommendation, and on-going risk monitoring of MassMutual’s investment exposures, including high yield and investment grade public and private corporate bonds, loans, structured and asset-based transactions. This position will report to the Head of Credit Risk Management and will support all aspects of ERM’s Credit Risk Management’s mission and activities, including but not limited to, credit risk analysis and evaluation of new investment proposals; portfolio-level and specific exposure research; monitoring, reporting; forecasting and communications, supporting the Head of Credit Risk Management with subject matter expertise; and leading special projects as needed. You’ll achieve success by being seen as a key risk resource in contributing to the risk analysis supporting complex investment decisions and/or risk remediation actions, and an important member on cross-departmental teams focused on solving these problems which ultimately minimize risk and maximize returns for our policyholders and customers.
The Credit Risk Management team is a core element of MassMutual’s Capital & Investment Risk team that operates as part of the Enterprise Risk Management division (“ERM”). ERM identifies measures and manages risks at the enterprise level.
Part of the Capital & Investment Risk function within ERM, the Credit Risk Management team’s mission is to manage portfolio credit, counterparty and country risks across the enterprise in collaboration with key internal stakeholders in the Investment Management and CFO , as well as external counterparts. The team also provides comprehensive and insightful analysis and recommendations supporting the work of senior level committees.
The Head of Fundamental Credit Risk Analysis will be a thought leader who will influence MassMutual’s credit risk positioning by :
- Conducting specialized, expert fundamental credit risk analysis of complex transactions and credit portfolios within various fixed income asset classes.
- Undertaking additional credit risk research through critical evaluation of deal -underwriting, analysis and ongoing credit monitoring of new investments or existing exposures including risk assessments of names and/or strategies brought to investment committee(s)
- Interacting regularly with senior leaders and executives in ERM and IM and offering insights and strategies to address and mitigate credit risks
- Inform investment decision recommendations from a credit risk perspective to ensure alignment to our investment philosophy and fit with our long-term strategy.
- Review and approve recommendation to add exposure or establish appropriate credit risk thresholds or limits.
- Initiate review and analysis of exposures across several risk measures at the subsidiary and enterprise level
- Pro-actively identify credit deterioration and support the credit watchlist process and workouts as needed through enhanced monitoring and risk management.
The Minimum Qualifications
- At least 10 years of demonstrated fundamental corporate credit experience as senior approver of leverage loans and private credit transactions at a major US financial institution (e.g., designated in the past by the Financial Stability Board as either a systemically important insurer or bank)
- Strong financial accounting skills and in-depth understanding of credit agreements and legal documentation and structures
- Familiarity with UK/European credit, capital markets and jurisdictional issues
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Key for success in this role are accountability, agility, resilience, and communication
The Ideal Qualifications
- Graduate degree (MBA, Accounting or Law)
- Familiarity and credit expertise across multiple asset classes and portfolios with proven track record of successful specialist risk assessments in corporate credit, direct lending, private placements, real estate, private equity, fund finance
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to help identify risk issues and gaps in deal information.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with investment managers, portfolio managers, credit analysts, Legal, Accounting and senior management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a fast paced, team environment, oftentimes against tight deadlines.
- Experience with operational, accounting, and legal aspects of investments, particularly directly originated loas.
- Ability to work independently, make sound risk recommendations and collaborate effectively with others.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with senior and executive leadership
- Focused one-on-one meetings with Head of Credit Risk Management
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits.
#LI-IZ1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
MassMutual will accept applications on an ongoing basis until such time as a candidate has been offered employment.Salary Range: $167,800.00-$220,200.00 Apply
Jobs Like This One
- Internal Controls - Financial Reporting and Risk Consultant Boston, Massachusetts
- Enterprise Risk Management Coordinator Springfield, Massachusetts
- Head of Market and Liquidity Risk Management Boston, Massachusetts
- Head of CECL Credit Analytics Boston, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.