Investment Performance & Analytics ConsultantBoston, Massachusetts Investment Management Job ID R14608
This role is new & highly visible. The team is seeking someone with deep experience supporting a large institutional asset owner, asset allocator, or investment advisor organization’s investment portfolio performance & analytics modeling and reporting functions.
As a qualified candidate working on the team, you should demonstrate the requisite hard skills and well-developed soft skills, necessary to collaborate effectively with internal Investment Professionals (Investment Management’s Senior Leadership Team & Portfolio Managers), Investment Operations, Risk, Technology within MassMutual, at our affiliate, Barings, and equivalent staff at the 3rd-Party Investment Management Firms that the GIA allocates capital to.
You should be ready to contribute to (and in most cases, lead) efforts related to the continuous improvement of the P&A program & platform via increasing automation, expanding capabilities and/or refining methodologies & frameworks used to measure investment performance of the various asset classes & strategies MassMutual has exposure to. This role requires strategic and critical thinking, analytical skills, leadership and influence skills, as well as the ability to collaborate to achieve results that can have significant impact on the Company.
- Review and validate daily, monthly & quarterly security, portfolio & index datasets, investigate discrepancies & deviations, identify root-cause of gaps or errors and suggest corrective actions across a global, multi-asset investment portfolio (public corporate, government & municipal bonds; public equities; syndicated & private direct mid-market loans; privately held real estate equity; CML's/RML's; ABS's; private LP investments; direct private equity, credit & mezz; VC fund & direct investments; infrastructure debt & equity; various rate, currency & country/market investment exposure hedging instruments)
- Take ownership of data quality by executing existing controls through available systems or manually when necessary and propose operational improvements to the controls environment
- Gather relevant performance information from various asset managers, administrators & market data service providers
- Calculate and compile reports on investment performance & return contribution/attribution
- Identify opportunities to gain efficiencies & improve productivity by updating platform or refining processes
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Business, Engineering or Mathematics
- At least 7 years’ experience supporting or leading a multi-asset investment management firm or institutional asset owner/allocator investment performance & analytics platform
The Ideal Qualifications
- CIPM, CAIA, CFA designation (or demonstrated progress towards one/more) highly preferred
- Experience for an Insurance Company or on, multi-asset Asset & Liability Management/Liability Driven Investing strategy client or product portfolio strategies
- Experience with developing & managing models for: data management (normalization & enrichment), data visualization, asset/portfolio analytics modeling & performance reporting (i.e., Alteryx, PowerBI, Smartsheets, MS Power Apps; integrated SQL & Python-based solutions; et al.)
- Advanced knowledge of fixed income securities & market fundamentals preferred
- Experience with public & private debt/credit market strategy investments performance & analytics highly valued (fixed income portfolio factor attribution concepts, i.e., relative impact from portfolio shift, twist, carry, currency, etc.)
- Understanding of major indices & stylized benchmarks; how they are constructed & fundamentals behind returns
- Familiarity with how & why asset owner’s or allocator’s select benchmarks; ability to assess and speak to quality/fit of pools of asset class exposures & investment mandates to target benchmarks (ability to speak to pros/cons based on mandate strategy, portfolio risk/return characteristics, specific portfolio holdings/exposures, reasonableness relative index/benchmark style & factors or, relative benchmark makeup/constituent demographics)
- Experience with private equity or private real asset/alternative strategies & fund structures, a plus
- Experience directly supporting portfolio managers or CIO leadership functions in monitoring portfolio performance and completing performance attribution analysis; assessing and reconciling performance and portfolio results for consistency with portfolio strategy objectives; producing C-Level/Product Strategy and/or Board Reporting
- Deep experience in performance/attribution & advanced analytics; working knowledge of GIPS framework (& ILPA Framework for Limited Partnership interests)
- Understanding of financial markets, most asset classes, portfolio/fund structures and investment performance measures for combinations therein (Equity & Fixed Income Hedged/Unhedged Strategies’ Total Return Attribution, Contribution & Factor Analysis; PE&C and Real Asset/Alts Closed-End IRR, Multiples, PME’s; et al)
- Direct, advanced experience modeling & reporting on public & private market asset portfolios on industry standard performance & analytics, risk and/or portfolio management systems (platforms) & applications (modules); i.e., FactSet, Burgiss, Bloomberg, Aladdin/eFront, Investran, Cobalt, IHS Market iLevel, MSCI/Barra, Moody’s, etc.)
- A quick learner displaying intellectual curiosity in investments & financial services and, a strong team player.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Manager Oversight & Performance Team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
#LI-MM1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
- Risk Management Consultant Boston, Massachusetts
- Investment Operations Director - Inforce Account Maintenance Operations Springfield, Massachusetts
- Suitability Principal Springfield, Massachusetts
- Wealth Management Risk Consultant Springfield, Massachusetts
- Head of Investment Management Governance and Reporting Boston, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.