Life Underwriting ConsultantRemote - US Underwriting Job ID R14323
We’re growing in MM Financial Advisors (MMFA) sales channel and our clients deserve the best. Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions, and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
*THIS POSITION IS 100% REMOTE / VIRTUAL*
Work from home anywhere in the United States
We are seeking virtual Life Insurance Underwriters to join our team! You will be responsible for delighting our customers and advisors during the individual life (Term and WL) insurance sales and service process.
Why this opportunity:
- Opportunity to be a part of an extensive virtual team that is helping more consumers protect the ones they love in a digital environment
- Highly competitive pay & benefits on the first day!
- 100% remote, work from home anywhere in the US
- Cohort-based onboarding and training program
- Monday through Friday 40-hour work week; standard business hours, i.e. 8-hour shift anywhere between 8am-8pm EST with OT options available
Meet the Team – Underwriting
It is an exciting time at MassMutual! MassMutual is going through a digital transformation, while continuing to be a leading customer-centric company. The team is composed of underwriters supporting our MassMutual Financial Advisors (MMFA) channel.
MMFA Underwriting is an organization providing a variety of customer, advisor, and risk management services (suitability, underwriting and claims adjudication). We work directly with the advisors and the clients they serve.
The team culture is collaborative, cross-functional, and uses old and new technologies combined with the work/life balance.
We are looking for a virtual Life Underwriter to join our team, tasked with underwriting life insurance in a fast-paced diverse work environment that is inclusive and values different experiences, backgrounds, and knowledge.
Role and Responsibilities
- Evaluate and handle all underwriting aspects of formal & informal life insurance applications
- Determine whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through evaluation of an individual's medical history or physical condition, occupational hazard, and financial background
- Deliver the best offer first to drive the sale and not only a decision.
- Provide efficient, quality service to third party firms, their staff and their advisors
- Communicate effectively with customers to explain underwriting decisions and facilitate placement of business
- Understand underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures
- Influence and champion changes to improve processes while maintaining mortality expectations
- Tailor communication style to fit a variety of target audiences, i.e. agency, new business personnel and foster relationships with advisors and third party partners
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders to gather information necessary for decision making and to select profitable risks
- Provide consultations with third party firms to resolve, rate questions and discrepancies, or risk related concerns. Consider total case financials, relationship and value of customer
- Leverage interpersonal and emotional intelligence skills to develop relationships with key business partners across this competitive landscape, which can be relied on to inform decisions and communicate underwriting decisions
- Able to independently work assigned requests with minimal direction. Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Build trust and foster strong rapport with colleagues, business partners, and third party customers
- High school diploma or GED
- 1+ years life insurance underwriting experience with at least $1 million Life Insurance underwriting authority
- 1+ years of expert knowledge of all aspects of risk selection (medical, non-medical, financial)
- 1+ years of knowledge of key underwriting concepts, best practices, and procedures including identifying exposures to loss, material hazards, and implementation of necessary risk management controls
- 1+ year knowledge of UW administrative systems, product rules, Underwriting Guidelines and medical factors impacting mortality and the keen ability to position with brokers and sales partners.
- 5+ years underwriting experience with up to $5M life approval limit (most current 3+ years in life insurance)
- Term and permanent life insurance underwriting
- Third party distribution, banks or wire house underwriting experiences
- Reinsurance experience
- Industry exams completed, i.e. FLMI, FALU, CLU, ChFC
- Demonstrated track record of working with minimal supervision, being a self-starter and working with others in a team environment
- Ability to think critically, problem solve using data to drive toward resolution
- Positive, inclusive, agile, and collaborative mindset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
- Senior Underwriting Consultant - Mastery Boston, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.