Software Data Engineer, JavaBoston, Massachusetts Business Analysis Job ID R9821
Since 1851, MassMutual’s commitment has always been to help people protect their families, support their communities, and help one another. This is why we want to inspire people to Live Mutual. We are people helping people.
A career with us means you will work alongside exceptional people and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals. Our employees are the foundation of what makes MassMutual a strong, stable and ethical business. We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual as we continue to help millions of Americans rely on each other.
Together, we are stronger
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal candidate is someone who enjoys designing, building and delivering complex systems. You love coding and revel in finding elegant solutions to difficult problems. You understand the challenges of handling data at scale and are always looking for opportunities to leverage open-source tools to accelerate development. You are passionate about learning new technologies, are team orientated and a strong communicator.
Objectives of the role
- Design, develop and deliver scalable, robust and highly re-usable components using technologies such as Python, Java, AWS serverless (Lambda, Glue), Apache Spark, Apache Kafka and REST
- Participate in all aspects of development from design to delivery, acting as both developer and component lead
- Interact closely with data users, including data engineers and data scientists to understand & refine requirements
- Develop code, unit tests and conducts code reviews
- Debug and troubleshoots problems in code and data pipelines
- Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies, processes and reference architectures
- Identify areas for process improvement, automation and simplification (e.g. use of existing open source technologies)
- Collaborate closely with other developers and provide mentorship as appropriate
- Collaborate with other peer organizations (e.g., Business Analyst, Data Modeler, QA, technical support, etc.) to prevent and resolve technical issues
- Work in Agile development environment, attending daily stand-up meetings and delivering incremental improvements.
- Java: 4+ years development
- Strong foundation in algorithms, design patterns and how to write performant code
- Data: Good understanding of data & data processing tools (e.g. Spark, Kafka, SQL), of relational database technologies and of analytics databases (e.g. Redshift, Vertica, Snowflake)
- CI/CD: Experienced with source control and with using CI/CD tools
- Testing: Proficient in writing unit, integration and load tests
- Communication: Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills
- Able to work independently and also to provide leadership to small teams of developers
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Cloud: Experience building with and deploying to cloud platforms such as AWS and leveraging serverless architectures (e.g. Lambda, Glue)
- Big Data & Streaming: 2+ years using big data and/or streaming technologies (e.g. Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Apache Flink)
#LI-TM1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
MassMutual will accept applications on an ongoing basis until such time as a candidate has been offered employment.Salary Range: $86,200.00-$113,100.00 Apply
Jobs Like This One
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.