Category Manager, DirectorBoston, Massachusetts Finance & Accounting Job ID R14648
Category Manager, Director
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
5 open positions:
1- HR & Law,
1- Brand, Product & Affiliated Distribution, Third Party and New Markets
2 - ETX (Enterprise Technology & Experience) & Operations
1 - Investment Management, Enterprise Risk, Institutional and CFO
On the MassMutual Procurement team, we have a goal to enable MassMutual’s mission and vision by providing the right supplier solution at the right time. Our mission is to streamline the procurement process, align supplier partners to meet business needs and continuously increase the value provided to our policyholders. MassMutual is hiring experienced business professionals with substantial team-leadership experience in procurement, specifically Category Management. This role will lead a team of procurement professionals to support the initiatives of the assigned categories.
The team is comprised of seasoned, collaborative professionals with experience in procurement, category management, supplier management, and sourcing. The broader procurement team in a rapidly developing and growing group of procurement professionals who are excited about maturing procurement at MassMutual.
- Responsible for the management of Category teams (5-8) comprised of experienced Category Managers and Procurement Consultants.
- Team may engage in high dollar value deals (in excess of $1 million dollars), organizational M&A activity and high-level escalations. Team is also responsible for a wide range of portfolios.
- Responsible for setting goals and objectives for team, providing guidance and support and communicating job expectations.
- Leads Procurement work across assigned areas and supports the Head of Category Management.
- Execute complex category and supplier strategies aligned with business goals and budgetary targets.
- Drive key sourcing events and negotiations, leveraging the full suite of sourcing capabilities.
- Work with stakeholders to execute against the corporate strategy, providing key insight into 3rd party capabilities, and help align on company-wide supplier management strategies and industry trends.
- Work with sourcing professionals to set category baseline, conduct market analysis, RFIs, RFPs, etc.
- Act as liaison with stakeholders for specific category escalations including being accountable for category prioritization and pipeline management including serving as the supplier relationship champion and expert of strategic supplier relationships.
- Work hand in hand with business customers to understand requirements, requests and feedback on vendors to support selection.
- Handles complex long-term focused projects involving multiple disciplines or business units.
- Partner with Procurement and stakeholders to develop and execute supplier negotiations strategies to achieve the best value and least risk for the organization.
- Guide Procurement in preparation for and facilitating of contract negotiations and oversee the overall contracting process from a supplier experience and quality standpoint.
- Lead supplier onboarding and offboarding activities, including, but not limited to, coordinating supplier training, granting system access and ensuring that the supplier is familiar with main contacts.
- Ensures that services and products meet the strategic needs of stakeholders. Participates in the negotiation process of SLA agreements and ensures that contractual obligations are met.
- Pursues new supplier relationships, when necessary, seeks to achieve the most profitable service from suppliers. May initiate contract changes when required.
- Strengthen the process structure for Category management by improving standards and partnering with other Procurement functions to develop best practices.
- Mentor and/or direct less experienced managers or employees.
- Responsible for Procurement processes not limited to Product/Service Sourcing, Supplier Selection, Pricing/Terms Negotiation, Order Processing, Contract Administration, Supplier Performance Management, and Strategic Sourcing.
- Bring category subject matter expertise to optimize license structure across key 3rd party relationships, facilitating business growth while ensuring effective cost management.
- Determine and lead appropriate supplier specific ongoing monitoring plan (operational business review meetings, executive oversight meetings, issue management reviews, performance monitoring, contract management reviews, risk management reviews etc.)
- Lead investigations on all supplier issues by working with relevant internal stakeholders and help the supplier to resolve issues efficiently. Loop in appropriate MassMutual teams if risk profile or contract updates become necessary.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Finance, Supply Chain or related field
- 8+ years procurement and/or sourcing experience
- 5+ years people management experience or commensurate leadership experience
- 2+ years leading a Procurement team and/or function in financial services or similar industry/environment.
- 4+ years of Executive-level communication and presentation skills as well as listening skills enabling the stakeholders to align with our procurement best practices.
The Ideal Qualifications
- Strong financial acumen and understanding of how effective category management relates to company results.
- Strong influence skills to encourage leaders from across MassMutual towards positive supplier relationships and results delivery.
- Experience creating and leading category strategy.
- Possesses a strong understanding and prior working experience in supplier management activities including performance management (SLAs, KPIs etc.), relationship management, contracting and risk management.
- Experience negotiating agreements and managing complex vendor / client relationships.
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Procurement Team:
- The desire to drive change and improvement in the procurement function supporting our mission to be a leading procurement organization
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
#LI-MC1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Jobs Like This One
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.