Software Engineer (Kafka)Boston, Massachusetts Technology Job ID R11040
Are you ready to be part of a team that implements and manages data integration services across MassMutual Organization, delivering value to multiple stakeholders such as internal operations as well as external customers? We create streaming services that are the core to the functioning of several systems in the company.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated software engineer with a passion to learn new technologies & to become an expert in event driven architecture leveraging Kafka. It will provide you visibility to how multiple systems operate around MassMutual. As we grow and scale our organization to deliver more services, we must manage technical debt that we have, and improve uptime of our current streaming applications. This role will be in a squad that will drive strategic initiatives to build these services. The team will also eventually be responsible for Production Support and members will be required to be on call during user peak time. The squad will be the driving force of ensuring quality is maintained and maintain the required uptime and SLA.
You will build and maintain the codebase that powers both our customer event streaming services as well as internal services. This is a role for engineers that are familiar with standard web backend architecture, event driven systems, and capable in database design and interaction. You will be working closely with the team in USA to understand the functional needs of their product requirements, developing new code to solve new problems, as well as maintaining existing code to squash bugs. Our Streaming platform is expanding rapidly with more mission critical services, so experience and commitment to easily understood and tested code is also a key part of the role.
- Build and maintain Kafka Integrations
- Supporting on premise and cloud platform environments such as AWS
- Develop, integrate and test run time execution of Streaming services
- Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners
- Contribute to the conceptual and physical design of application integration using events
- Lead and/or participate in system design and architectural activities and ability to lead collaboration for important design decisions
- Collaborate in a team-based environment including employees across different locations, and vendors
- Drive technical recommendations in collaboration with other developers and architects
- Research and experiment with new technologies that align to business vision and goals
- Integrate existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments
- Write or review software system documentation and share knowledge
- “Debug” a code; critically think to highlight where issues are coming from
- “Developer on call” to support maintenance and issue remediation of the streaming services we support: Debugging existing software and correcting defects
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical designation
- 2+ years experience with Kafka or other event streaming systems (RabbitMq, Kinesis, Service Bus)
- 5+ years of coding and scripting (Python, Java, Scala) + design/prototyping experience
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years working with Java Web applications
- 3+ years experience with Spring Framework
- 3+ years experience of developing REST services using Java or Node.js
- Experience with AWS/Microservices
- Experience with containerization
- 5+ years working with Kafka
- 5+ years of coding and scripting (Python, Java, Scala) and design experience.
- 5+ years of working with REST services
- 3+ years of experience of Kubernetes
- Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to improve operational stability
- DevOps experience
- Experience and understanding of Kubernetes
- Experience with GitHub or GitLab
- Experience with generating technical documentation
- Experience using with Jira and Confluence
- Agile Methodology - comfortable working in a scrum environment
#LI-TM1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
MassMutual will accept applications on an ongoing basis until such time as a candidate has been offered employment.Salary Range: $121,800.00-$159,800.00 Apply
Jobs Like This One
- Solutions Architect, New Business & Underwriting Springfield, Massachusetts
- Sales & Distribution Technology Solutions Architect Springfield, Massachusetts
- Director of ServiceNow Product Delivery Springfield, Massachusetts
- Head of Security Platform Engineering Springfield, Massachusetts
- Anaplan, Senior Model Builder Boston, Massachusetts
At MassMutual, we believe in the value of being together in our offices and in personal flexibility.
Our work environment is one where the majority of our team members work a hybrid schedule — working at least three days in the office (Tuesday, Wednesday and a third day) and the rest remotely, balancing flexibility with in-person collaboration. While the majority of our employees follow this hybrid model, some of our roles continue to be 100% on-site and others may be 100% remote, subject to business needs.
MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company operated for the benefit of our members, policyowners and customers, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life. We are a company of people protecting people. Our company exists because people are willing to share risk and resources and rely on each other when it counts. At MassMutual, we Live Mutual.